View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 07:42 AM

Default HOF minimum price tiers

Because I'd like to stay married, I usually have a very limited baseball card budget. But due to a birthday and a Net54 contest (thanks Leon!), I've got about $140 to spend this month. (Not much by the standards around here, I know, but a lot for me.) Rather than get several small things that would be available to me otherwise, I thought that I'd put it towards a player who would normally be out of my reach. So I have two questions:

(1) Without much concern for condition (but requiring that the card actually be intact), which hall of famers could I get a card of, which was issued during their playing days, for $140, but not for less than that?

(2) More generally, what do the minimum price tiers for hall of famers look like? There are the lesser lights - like Roger Bresnehan - which can be had cheaply. There are big names, like Speaker, who turn up in strip sets. There are a few big names from the deadball era who retired before the inexpensive strip sets. And there are 19th century guys. Obviously there will be variation within each, but do we have ballpark figures for what the bottom rung of these tiers cost?