View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 09:00 PM

Scott,
How do you like to collect? I started out as a player collector and then moved into set collecting. I eventually sold most of my golf sets and transitioned into more of a golf type card collector. Needless to say, a safe way to get started would be to pickup a key player from some of the more popular sets to get a feel for them. I would start with these players from these more popular sets, but there are plenty of good choices:

1900 Cope's (02 Old Tom Morris and 26 Tom Morris, Jr.)

1901/02 Odgen's (any of the Vardon's would be a good start, but the most popular are 1901 #476 Harry Vardon and the 1902 Old Tom Morris)

1914 Marsuma (any of the Harry Vardon's)

1926 Lambert and Butler (02 Bobby Jones rookie)

1927 Churchman (Any of the Bobby Jones, Walter Hagen, Tom Morris or Harry Vardon cards)

1928 Millhoff (Any of the Bobby Jones, Walter Hagen and Harry Vardon cards)

1931 Churchman (Any of the Bobby Jones, Walter Hagen and Harry Vardon cards)

This would just be a safe way to start and you could sell these cards pretty easy down the road if you decide you don't like the set/player. You can pick up most of these cards in excellent condition for less than $100, except for the Copes cards. There are also strip cards (W590 and W512) and the two Churchman set's mentioned have a small and large version of the set to collect. The small version of the set consists of 50 cards and the large version only consists of 12 cards and is a little harder to find. Needless to say, this is only scratching the surface and I am sure I am leaving out some key cards/sets as I type.

Good luck,
Jason

Last edited by famousgolfers; 09-04-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: missed Marsuma's