View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 11:55 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
I suppose you can call them common. But the top tier HOF'ers in EX5 and higher are seeing the market less often these days. 5-10 years ago eBay seemed to semi regularly have them available, through several basic Joe sellers like us. Honestly, they are now surfacing with not as much regularity. I bet the quantity of people in the demand department is also up significantly compared to 5-10 years ago. This grouping of major T206 HOF'ers was strong on condition for the grade - more so than other pwcc similar groups. I drooled, then checked my budget, then sat back and sighed - out of my price range anymore. Glad I picked up these puppies years ago and stashed them. I showed my wife some prices last night - she wants to sell a couple for new carpet, hmm, don't know about that.
I think this is the best post in the thread. The fact is a well-centered Cy Young Portrait in a 5 is not common card at all. People seem to pay all sorts of premiums for a common T206 with a rare back because we can seemingly quantify the rarity via pop reports. If only we could quantify the rarity of very strong eye appeal cards, my anecdotal belief is that the premiums paid would not seem that outrageous. I'm sad to admit I check eBay and auctions on a daily basis for cards like Cy Portraits, and cards like that just don't appear that often in my observation. I can understand someone going strong if they're sick of waiting. I didn't buy it, by the way.