View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 10:38 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
As a photo person, I think, beyond overprints and alterations for grades, forgeries of Pre-War baseball cards is not an issue, meaning that undetectable counterfeits will not happen. Some posters opine about modern printing technology and experts in China being able to create perfect counterfeits, but that's not true.

I also think provenance will become more and more important-- and something I've talked about often here--, because if you can establish that a card, including autograph card, pre-dated the forgery wave, that will be significant. I've often told people to establish the date of their overprinted card in case there is a future wave of overprinting forgeries.
+1. IMHO, undetectable counterfeits of pre-war cards will not be a significant issue. Cards made through different processes at significantly distinct times have always left substantially different footprints. As to autographs on cards or otherwise, there will always be forgers as long as they have significant value. Some really thorough detective work re the latter has/is being done on the other thread!

Best wishes,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 12-01-2018 at 10:50 PM.