View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 04:02 PM

Great thread! Your Cobb is amazing, Orlando! I also got a kick out of crackajackkid's "6 thousandths of an inch" trivia answer.

Back in 2007, at the DHL All-Star Fanfest for the MLB All-Star Game, Hunt Auctions held a live auction which featured a group of unstained 1914 Cracker Jack cards. It featured no less than 10(!) Cobbs, all with the same printing "defect": a small smudge in the red background over the word "Cracker".

Dean H. here on Net54 sent me the scans from the catalog years ago, so thanks to him for preserving the details of this amazing auction (the pricing notations are his. Ah, if only to have a time machine!).

Many of the cards were graded by SGC, and the intro paragraph to the auction lot mentioned that the cards came from the estate of someone in the printing business. Who knows the true story behind these cards. Perhaps similar to the cards from the Black Swamp find, it's possible that these cards were snuck out the back door at the printing company. Maybe not every 1914 Cracker Jack card saw the inside of a CJ box, and maybe not every unstained 1914 CJ is altered. For full disclosure, I am biased here since I own one of the cards which originated from this auction.

Here are some of the scans from the catalog, with the last shot being a composite photo I made up featuring all 10 Cobb cards.

Last edited by CW; 03-24-2017 at 05:17 PM.