View Single Post
Old 08-29-2003, 04:56 AM
Administrator

Default 1873 Boston Cabinet in Mastronet Auction

Posted By: HalleyGator

I guess I underestimated my reputation in the collecting community as "an idiot who will overpay for something he wants." I was counting on that to keep others away.

But then again ... I agree 100% that my strategy here is different because I already own one of these cards.

If someone outbids my MAX BID to ge this card ... I have spent NOTHING and increased the value of my card.

But obviously (since I can't retract my bid) I really do want this card.

Guys, these Mastro auction are WAY DIFFERENT than an EBay auction or some other small auction:.

1) An item on EBay or a small auction may very well slip by some collectors. An item on MASTRO is not going to slip by anyone serious.

2) An item on EBay has a DEFINITE ending time, so someone who is high bidder all week (at a low price) may get sniped at the very end. A MASTRO auction stays open WAY PAST the end time, so anyone who gets sniped at the "end" can STILL keep bidding!! Thus, nobody who is winning all week at a cheap price can get screwed without notice.

Believe me, if I kept quiet and let people bid on this thing all week ... and then I bid at the last minute ... all of the previous bidders would still have money to spend and would come back and out bid me.

My strategy is to let people know NOW that they are out of this race ... so hopefully they spend their money winning OTHER items ... and then don't come back to out bid me later.

Maybe it will work, maybe it won't ... but there is NO WAY that anyone can "SCREW" me by outbidding me out of spite since they will only be increasing the value of my other card.

Plus ... I will drive over them in my BMW M5.