View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 09:46 AM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
The wonderful thing is that it is archival repair tape and the proper item used for once. I spent time in my college years restoring rare books for the library in the Data Collection dept. The tape should be able to be removed as archival tape has a water soluble adhesive. Distilled water and q-tips should do the job.

Slightly dampen the edge with q-tip and distilled water and gently lift. If the tape dries the adhesive will be working again, so it is a slow tedious process.

That said, I would assuredly not do it at all. The tape seems to be what is holding the card together in many spots. To remove it all and risk further damage or separation just to gain a theoretical 5 to 10% chance of a 1 grade seems like a poor choice. I also see no value gain in changing a presentable piece into a torn up one with dangling chunks. The Authentic will present better.

I see no negative connotations on having an authentic slab that just gained it by being well loved. The fixer did this with the right materials, I would let it be.
Thanks. I appreciate all the input. I'm leaving it as is. I'll revert with images when I get it it back SGC.