View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Default I want a deadball era video game!!!

Posted By: Sean

Ok maybe I have too much time on my hands but wouldn’t it be cool if there was a deadball era baseball game (for playstation or whatever). Theres gotta be someone out there who can make this happen. Here is what I am suggesting:

A baseball game that incorporates all ballplayers, teams, and stadiums from say 1890-1940. I realize post 1920 is no longer deadball era so save the comments.

The gamer can choose what season they want to play, or they could match teams from one year against teams from another. Wouldn’t it be great to play the 1927 Yankees against the 1908 cubs? Or make a season playing all the best teams from this era. Parhaps the deadball era players will field poorer due to the smaller pre-1920 gloves. Throwing accurately will be more difficult due to the spit covered, lop-sided ball.

The gamer can choose deadball mode or rabbit ball mode. Do you give the inside game players the advantage or the long ball players the advantage? Would the inside game players play even better in the rabbit ball mode?

The game must be fun to play. I personally like Derek Jeter’s all star baseball 2002 myself as the play is intricate enough to never be boring (and takes some skill) but is easy enough to catch on pretty quickly.

On REALLY important games have the stadium so over-crowded that the fans roped off in the outfield (Prior to 1913).

In season mode, sign players but keep within the budget risking holdouts. Maybe there can be some games to help you build your cash for your team like opening the cigarette pack to find the wagner (ok I might be getting a bit carried away here).

Have each player posses the talent they are known for.
Mathewson’s fade-away

Cobb’s slide. Allow certain runners to slide spikes in the air possibly injuring the infielder or possibly getting you kicked out of baseball.

double plays being made easier by Tinker-evers-chance.

Kid Elberfield’s temper (makes him easier to get in fights or berate the ump).

Lefty Grove getting angry when he’s losing and berating his teammates.

Rube Waddell being easily destracted but don’t anger him or he’ll shut you down.

John Mcgraw (as a player with the Orioles) being able to trip or grab runners coming round third (just make sure the ONE ump doesn’t see you!).

Clutch players like Frank Baker and Joe Tinker coming through in the pinch.

Willie Keelers place hitting.

Babe Ruth calling the shot.

No helmets so beware of the bean ball!

Seedy players like Hal Chase and Heine Zimmerman not necessarily playing on the up and up. Perhaps you could check the bookies before the game to see what the likely-hood is that the ’19 white sox are going to play to their full potential.

Hughie Jenning’s knack for taking a beanball and not getting hurt.

Tris Speaker’s range in center field.

Hope your players don’t get TB or Cirrhosis during the season!

Babe Herman being a bit clumbsy

Have the stadiums develop over the years so its harder to hit a home run in pre- bleachers ballparks.

Get the home stadium advantage by having pre game entertainment:
Perhaps you can be Hans Lobert racing a horse around the bases
Hit fungos
Have Wilbert Robinson catch a ball from an airplane
Get Nick Altrock to make the crowd laugh

In the 1918 season, have the players do military drills.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions or what you think of the idea. There has gotta be some of you out there that would love this as much as me!