View Single Post
Old 01-22-2002, 12:59 AM
Administrator

Default Nodrass, Snodgrass, who stole my "S" ?

Posted By: David

Thanks for the info, it was enlightening. While your conclusions may turn out to be correct, my only problem is that an across-the-board trend (color, detail) can't be established by examining only one Nodgrass. If other Nodgrass owners say theirs have the same qualities, perhaps then we can use it as a rule of thumb.

My opinion is that if the collector knows what he/she is doing, a grader is not neccesariy, or perhaps even desirable, for determining if the Nodgrass is legitimate. As you pointed out, put the card at an angle to light will weed out most fakes. Even if the forger was to coat the card with a substance (which was done on a S/Nodgrass) it will most probably have a different gloss/texture, and a differenr black light fluorescence from other T206s. Further, T206s are thin and light will pass throught them if they're put up to a lamp or flash light. This will often reveal any added substance. This is also a quick way to identify restored Goudeys-- the restored corners often let though more light than the rest of the card.

If my opinion, there is no excuse for a grader to misidentify these types of alterations, because its not that hard for most collectors to it.