View Single Post
Old 12-10-2022, 05:59 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Default H235 Goodwin Smoking Heads

I wanted to bump this thread as last week I shared a chronological sequence for Lone Jack cigarette pack variants that may be in error . . . I’ve uncovered new evidence that suggests a revision is warranted, research still in progress, I’ll share findings when complete.

It is also only proper that I share something fitting for this thread. I’d like to introduce a near complete run of Goodwin’s Smoking Heads (catalogued as H235). These were issued by two different lithographers, H. Bencke and Major & Knapp. Both issued 8 different smoking heads measuring a bit larger than a cabinet card; 6 of 8 being near copies of each other (nearly same design). I’m missing the blonde girl from H. Bencke for completion.

I owe Jay Miller, Henry Moses, and several others many thanks for allowing me to accumulate these.

There are further variations that could be pointed out such as linen backing on some of the examples from H. Bencke. Some of the all cardboard examples (no linen backing) are found with a fold-out stand for easier counter-top display. The H. Bencke style stand is shown below on the left and the more simplistic Major & Knapp style on the right. To find a fully intact and functioning stand is uncommon.

While all of these examples advertise “Old Judge” cigarettes, examples have also been found featuring Goodwin’s “Chancellor” brand.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers