View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 06:00 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
At a crime scene, CSI forensic experts have special lights that give a broad range of life-- infrared to all the colors of the visual spectrum to ultraviolet to colored lenses. They use this to pick up hidden details. They will then photograph it for documentation. Used to identify blood drops on a dark surface, eyelashes on a rug, etc. Under certain lighting, an item will stand out.

So it could be UV that made the signatures stand out, could be infrared, could be an visible color that picks them up. With the CSI light machine, they will go through the whole range of light until something is picked up. I've used infrared light to pick out old writing on baseball bats. It often works well.
Yes, it's amazing what's possible with differing light. Even having access to long and short wave UV opens up a whole world of "invisible" stuff.

I didn't know they used a device with a wide spectrum. Being into gadgets I'll have to look into picking up one of those devices. Maybe IR camera first....

For flats it's amazing what a good scanner and even basic photo software can do. Changing the color levels and contrast/brightness can pull up details that are tough to see otherwise.

Steve B