Thread: T210 Young
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 02:08 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I just looked on Newspapers.com, and found that the Virginia Valley League was in existence only in 1910. It was formed in March 1910, and it's season ran from May - September. The teams were in West Virginia and Kentucky. In February 1911 it was renamed the "Mountain State League".

I could only find two references to Huntington's manager. One id'd him as "Si" Young, and the other as "Cy" Young. Considering that Denton T. "Cy" Young pitched in 21 games for Cleveland in 1910, and the two cities are around 250+ miles apart (no other AL city was any closer to Huntington, WV), I find it highly improbable that the two "Cy" Youngs are one and the same.

Interestingly, I found a story in the Point Pleasant (WV) Register of 22 June 1910, titled "Cigarette Pictures". It reads:

"The members of the different teams in the Virginia Valley League will be well known in a few days, especially by the cigarette smokers, and to a large number of youngsters who save the pictures from the cigarette packages. The manufacturers of a grade of cigarettes have asked for the pictures of the players in the different teams in the league and they will put them in the packages of cigarettes. The different teams have been posing for the camera during the last few days."

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox