View Single Post
Old 02-09-2022, 09:15 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
I guess everyone sees things differently. If I own a business, I can set my price on an item and set my salary wages. If it is not competitive with the business down the street I will go out of business. If the wages are poor , I will not have many employees etc. The market dictates. I think the owner should make these decisions and not the employees.
Here's an analogy that fits since you want to talk as a business owner: inflation has far exceeded the minimum wage increase, yet profits have sored st the same time, and now players have an opportunity to narrow the gap that was created. Just like in real life, this can be compared to the fight for $15, or all the teacher strikes the last 5 years around the country. When workers get left behind, workers get aggravated.

First, MLB minimum salary is the lowest among NFL, NBA, and NHL. In current negotiations, players requested making as much as 3rd place NHL. Owners said no. MLB is the #1 sport that relies on minimum salary players. In 2019, minimum salary earners were roughly 55% of all rostered players. That discrepancy really puts the onus on MLBPA to increase minimum salary because so many players are at the bottom. Additionally, owners have weaponized WAR, recognizing that the best years of a player are often still within the original contract signed as a draft pick. Thus there is little monetary incentive to offer contracts to average or above average veteran players. There is no ROI. Owners have obviously colluded to reduce free agent earnings... remember the year no free agents were signed over the winter of 2018-19? Some players created their own spring training group waiting to be picked up. This collusion has led to four consecutive years of falling average salary.

At the same time, gambling advertising has unleashed a flood of new money that MLB hopes to tap into. And the new sportst card contract should also bring in new money. Further, owners are requesting MLBPA okays ads on uniforms which will bring in hundreds of millions. They will see a windfall of money when the CBA is signed. I'm baffled by the owners resistance to negotiate in good faith. No matter what they give players, the owners will walk away winners.

The MLBPA has to take action now to protect their future. There is a lot at stake! I'm certain it will mean no All Star game unless owners give in. I don't see players crumbling on their requests. I fully support the draft lottery, a minimum team salary, and punishments for tanking / draft pick rewards for competitive teams. They made a lot of mistakes in negotiations the last two or three CBAs that owners have manipulated. They seek to remedy a few of those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo