View Single Post
Old 07-14-2004, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Default Defining "Vintage"

Posted By: Julie Vognar

O.K. I DOUBT that Mark Macrae has ever handled a Goodwin Round Album (NOT doubt that he has one--he may very well have one. He has many great 19th century cards), but he doesn't sell PRIMARILY 19th =century stuff, so his chances of selling a Goodwin Album are rather slight. I have bought a dandy Harper's woodcut from him, and it MAY have been him who sold me a beautifully trimmed Yum Yum of Mickey Welch.

But as far his being a "guru," is concerned, he is. Absolutely, THE. most. knowledgeable. dealer. in the business. For ANY century. Terry K. may know more about obscure 19th century issues, as may Barry Sloate, but otherwise: any question you want an answer to about baseball cards, Mark Macrae has it. It is really incredible.
As for his doing something so destructive as tearing apart a Goodwin Album, it just isn't credible. He loves baseball cards (or WHATEVER we are calling that thing); he would NEVER do anything like that! His own collection is magnificent. (Don't have to worry about him reading this, because he's already driving back east, stopping many places along the way, to the National.)

With Terry K, I have more concrete proof. Terry sold me my first Scrapps, almost 20 years ago--but then, only very occasionally. People would bring Terry their complete sets, and he would always sell therm AS COMPLETE SETS--no matter how I yelped that all i wanted was an O'Neill, a Caruthers. He was always patient with me, but he would NOT take a set apart!

In case you hadn't noticed, Mark and Terry came out on top in the VCBC dealers contest.