View Single Post
Old 07-14-2004, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Default Defining "Vintage"

Posted By: warshawlaw

Those are abominations, both silly and gross. I'll never forget the first time I saw a bat card. The stories of hucksters selling supposed hunks of the cross, the holy grail, the ark of the covenant, etc., came right to mind and I decided that the whole thing was unseemly and not something I'd personally get involved in collecting. Not that I have anything against the people who want to do it; it is their money and they can spend it as frivolously as they like. In fact, I urge all people who bid on the cards I like to immediately shift all of their collecting energies to amassing recently issued cards with bits of jersey, bat, ball, base, hair, scrotum and whatever else they're sticking on cards now.

I was referring only to the Goodwin albums and similar paper items that are readily taken apart into their individual leaves and sold as such. Beautiful, yes. Desirable, yes. Valuable, yes. Cards, no.

Julie, don't get miffed, your leaves are still great items, they're just not cards. I realize that you exalt Terry K, Mark M and certain other of your personal card gurus, but I have to chuckle a bit over your assertion that Terry would not pull apart a Goodwin album if the parts were worth a lot more than the whole, and I would not blame him a bit for doing so. He's in business, not in the museum or preservation game; as you said yourself, the whole albums are valuable.