View Single Post
Old 07-12-2004, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Default Defining "Vintage"

Posted By: Joe P.

An example, I'm 73 years old and having been born in 1931, anything from 1919 and earlier would fall into the vintage category.
I would imagine that anyone that was born in the '70's might look at the '50's and '60's as vintage, and rightly so, .... there are days that I feel that way.

What we have on this board is mostly a collection of aficionados that are very interested in the early history of the game.
We're talking about collectors and/or investors that are drawn to the memorabilia and images from the 1840's Town Ball period, right on through the deadball period of the early 20th century.
1955 is vintage, but like I said, it's all relative.

Bring on whatever vintage level you carry with you, but be prepared to get rid of your cell phone, and trade it in for an Alexander Graham Bell model.
The type that you hang on the wall - looks like a well carved Victorian wooden box with bells up on top - an apparatus in the center of the box that you can talk into - a cylinder on the left hand side that you can take off the cradle, put to your ear and hear the other person - on the right you'll find a little handle that you turn to crank up the operator and have her connect you to the party line.

Folks, get yourself ready, because we're going out and take the trolley to the Polo Grounds.