View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 05:34 PM

Default Baseball historic tickets printed after the game was played

Baseball teams have routinely printed box office tickets to a number of historic games after the fact since the mid 1990's.

Some examples of this include: tickets to Dave Winfield's 3,000th hit, Roger Clemens' 2nd 20 strikeout game ticket (at Detroit in 1996), Mark McGwire's 62nd HR and 70th HR in 1998, Kevin Brown's no-hitter at SF in 1997. All of these tickets, with the exception of the two McGwire games that I mentioned, are box office style tickets and have the actual PRINT DATE on the ticket (usually in the margin to the left), which is the give away that the ticket was printed after the fact. The problem with purchasing tickets like these is that they retain very little value over time. My experience has been that true ticket collectors are interested in the real deal, not souvenir reprint tickets.

BTW, one way to avoid this problem as a collector is to only purchase "season ticket" style tickets to games like these. This way you can avoid "manufactured memorabilia" produced by greedy MLB upper management. I guess the temptation of being able to boost attendance dollars is just too great for some organizations. Sad, but true.... With regards to tickets to Halliday's perfect game, there already appear to be a multitude (shitload) of tickets (both box office and season tickets) readily available on eBay. Why even bother to buy a reprinted ticket when so many originals exist in the hobby? Food for thought...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 06-01-2010 at 04:55 AM.