View Single Post
Old 07-25-2003, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Default Check's in the mail

Posted By: Hankron 

Moral of this story: If you're going to lie, do a better job.

First, non-payments are rare and usually on small ticket items, so I'm not bellyaching here. I just thought it was kid of funny.

A guy won two relatively inexpensive items in one of my auctions, and I invoiced him (is invoice a verb?). After a month or so, I noticed the two cards were still on my shelf, so I politely resent the invoices. I'm aware that mixups happend and perhaps he forgot. That would be no big deal.

He emailed asking whether I had received the money order he sent. I had not received them, but, as it's always possible that I or someone else received it and misplaced or misfiled it, I looked around for it. I searched high and low for his letter and there was no trace. Important to not-- so there are no mixups in packaging, the checks are always sent to the bank after an item is packaged and mailed (I've haven't had a bounced check in probably two years, and it's against the law, so that's not a pressing issue). So I knew that there was no chance I cashed his check even if he did sent it.

I relayed to the winner that I had checked well and I was confident I never received a letter from him. He then said that he had mailed the check to me and even the bank receipt for the check dated June 05.

I found that last claim most interesting. I say this because the auction ended June 19, and started on the 10th.

Not only had he known five days before the auction started (and before I myself had even considered putting the card in auction!) that he was going to win a Lou Boudreau Autographed 1941 PlayBall Reprint and how much I charge for shipping, but knew my mailing address and had already send the check.

This guy has quite a talent.