View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 12:51 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default What is the criteria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Well, for something to be considered a 'rookie card' it still has to follow certain criteria. In other words, you can't just get any piece of cardboard from 1958 that has Pele's image on it and call it a rookie. If I were you, I wouldn't waste any time on these things.
I am curious to know what the criteria is for a rookie that makes this invalid. If size of a card is a criteria, then this is certainly less valid. But other than that, it matches all of the same criteria as the Quigol, one of the more clear Pele rookies (both in terms of popularity and value):
-It is also released in Brazil
-It seems to be released in 1958
-It was made of paper, just like the Quigol (likely the same paper stock / quality)
-It was released as a set with other World Cup team members
-It was made to be posted into an album or book (in this case, these seem to be made to post on a cardstock book/album)

So I can't really dismiss it on any criteria except it is 1/4 the size of the Quigol. Does size disqualify a rookie candidate?

I guess you could say it's a stamp since it has perforated edges, but in soccer cards there are a number of stamps that are considered valid 'cards' that are graded by PSA/SGC and can be costly in high-grade (1958 Editora Aguarela rookie has a slight stamp-like perforation, some Sicker Verlags are basically stamps as are the similar 1965 Editrice Verbania set).

I'd love to know other opinions on if it could count as a rookie if indeed it was released in 1958.

Also, any one know details on the set and release circumstances?