View Single Post
Old 12-21-2006, 06:28 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 Goudey Lajoie #106

Posted By: T206Collector

Both of you made my point for me better than I did...

"if all the fans from 2 given eras are both largely now deceased, and the supply of cards from each era is roughly equal, then the contemporary collector with no first-hand experience with either era, will choose the oldest cards as the favorite to collect?"

Precisely.

People buy Albert Pujols' rookie cards for 4 figures because they see what Ruth now sells for and they impute on Pujols the same history. Pujols' card values already reflects a market consensus that he will be a HOFer.

"I can tell you that the cards from the 50s have performed better upon resale than the T206s (which have done really well, regardless)."

That is because those people who grew up in the 50's have a ton of wealth to spread around, while those who grew up in the 10's are dead -- the only collectors of 10's stuff are the historical collectors, while the 50's cards draw interest from the nostalgic collectors as well as the historical collectors. Keeping with my only point, when all the children of the 50's are dead and buried, their grandkids would prefer Cobb to Mantle because of age and perceived scarcity.

But, yes, there will always be interest in certain sets from each era for whatever reason.