View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 08:53 AM
Peter Spaeth

I am certainly in favor of restitution. I agree that it would not have happened this early if at all without Jeff's involvement. I can only hope that it ends up being more than a token or modest amount, although realistically there is no conceivable way it is going to come close to the harm inflicted by the many years of selling doctored cards.

That said, without any subpoena power and with most of the industry playing ostrich and refusing to help, the extent of card doctoring, knowing sale of doctored cards, and now (apparently) market manipulation that has been uncovered by collectors and one dealer assisting their efforts is staggering. If the federal government which of course has subpoena power nevertheless concludes that there is no prosecutable case here, or that it isn't worth it, and the culprits escape any significant punishment that in turn might deter others (or even themselves from keeping right on doing what they have been doing), there is no hope of ever cleaning up the cesspool that is this industry. Might as well just drink the Kool Aid and join the others admiring the emperor's new clothes and the trimmed, recolored, and bleached junk in slabs.

We'll see what happens. I am very much rooting against Jeff's client in that regard, and the others.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-24-2019 at 09:01 AM.