View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 01:42 PM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
Timed at 83 bht that was measured behind the plate several feet wasnt it? Translates to 93 the way speed is measured today... 10 feet from mound.
Interesting, I had been wondering about this, since reading the "Walter Johnson: Baseball's Big Train" book recently, which is quoted below:

"After a few warm-up tosses against the steel plate, and still in street clothes, Johnson stepped in, but the tunnel was at shoulder height to measure bullets fired from a standing position and at first Johnson couldn't get his sidearm throws to go straight through to the plate. 'At length, however,' it was reported, 'after some effort and with a consequent loss of speed in an attempt to place the ball accurately, the sphere was successfully hurled in the proper direction, broke one of the fine wires in its transit and collided with a heavy thud against the steel plate.' Johnson's best throw was clocked at 122 feet per second (82 m.p.h), Rucker's at 113, both on their third and last tries."

So, the 82 mph was measured differently, thrown in street clothes, apparently from an awkward position. Given that the fastest throws came in the final attempts, I am also guessing he likely was not properly warmed up.

If he was really throwing only 82 all of the accounts of batters not even seeing the ball would simply not make sense!
T206 back run: 21/38