View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Default Would you trade in your collection to see one specific game?

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

What I love about baseball is how it's one huge story told in multiple chapters, multiple paragraphs, and multiple sentences.

You can talk about how great Game 3 of the 1978 World Series was, but it loses some of its luster without knowing the story about how great the 1978 season was. And that loses some of its luster without knowing the story about the 1976 and 77 seasons. And those lose their luster without knowing about George Steinbrenner buying the Yankees and setting the goal of restoring the team's dominance of the 1950s - which, of course, is a story you would need to know as well. And it's not as great a story without knowing the story of the Brooklyn Dodgers. And the New York Giants. And those two teams have great stories that make it worth learning about the St. Louis Cardinals and the Detroit Tigers.

Which is a long-winded way of saying "Hell, no, would I trade in my collection for just one game." To me, that's like asking an art collector if he'd trade in his entire collection for a drop of green paint. There's always another highlight.

-Al