View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 12:20 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Corey SGC did know. According to Goodwin's ad, SGC told Goodwin at first that the card was hand cut and could not have been factory cut.

“When learning Bill Goodwin had a T206 Piedmont Plank, we clearly informed him that the card had to be hand-cut from a scrapper sheet and similar to the other handful that exist, would receive an “Authentic” assessment. Only ironclad circumstances relating to no evidence of trimming, whatsoever, could possibly enable us to encapsulate the card with a numerical grade. After scouring the card for what appeared to be an infinite amount of time, our unwavering opinion was to assign the current SGC 70/5.5 grade since not a shred of evidence relating to trimming exists under our finest magnification process. We stand by this card’s factory cut origin and vouch with 100% certainty that it was not hand-cut”.
Well obviously I stand corrected. Guess I should have read the auction descripton. I'm a bit amazed they gave it a grade, regardless what their inspection showed. I know for a fact SGC graded certain Lionel Carter cards that he personally pulled from packs as Authentics for being undersized even though nobody reasonably thought Lionel Carter trimmed his cards. So if the normal-looking borders on those cards couldn't save them from an Authentic grade, it seems inconsistent that normal-looking borders on this Plank would suffice to give it a numerical grade.