View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 09:32 PM
pariah1107

This is not the first time I have run across a baseball team and wondered "Why have I never heard of them?". Got the answers to two questions after a quick visit to Yakima Public Library. A bit of a drive, but I made a day of it.

First, who is 1907 Yakima Black Stocking firstbaseman J. Foster? He was L. James Foster a "bus driver" for the owner of the Washington Hotel in Yakima, Charles Connell, according to the 1907 & 1908 City Directory. Not Johnson Foster, oh well.

Second, why have I not heard of the Black Stockings? I'm sure people in Yakima would like to forget this team, as star pitcher William M. Knox was convicted of manslaughter according to September 21, 1910 Yakima Herald. Strangely he was not sentenced, perhaps determined to be self-defense. He registered for WW1; occupation on his registration was Minister/Janitor in Chicago 1917.

All in all a fun day at the library! Many interesting characters on this team including William Clark Lytle, longtime Oakland barber. I'll list players, positions, and personalities after another week of microfiche. Thank you all.