View Single Post
Old 04-24-2020, 08:31 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 REFERENCE......Possible sources of the T206 Wagner cards (Re-visited)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * T206 REFERENCE.......Reflections, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

My 2nd experience, which was a factor in forming my Wagner card source theory, occurred in May 1985. An old friend and Show promoter, Bob Bartosz, called me
from his BB card shop in Cherry Hill, NJ. He was very excited as he said.... "Ted, you have to see what just came into my shop, it's really awesome". I told Bob I'd
be there within an hour. An elderly gentleman with 8 original metal printing plates was at Bob's shop. Bob and I were astonished as we realized the significance of
these plates. Each plate (approx. 22" x 17") had 32 images on it. The total number of images on 7 of the 8 plates comprised of the 224-card 1954 BOWMAN set.
The duplicate plate had images of cards #65 - 96. YES, believe it or not, there were 2 plates with the #66 Ted Williams image on them. I emphasize this since you
old-timers may recall that back in the 1970's - 1980's that the explanation for the Ted Williams card being scarce was...… "the printing plate was broken".
Well, that "myth" was certainly dispelled that day in May.
The gentleman was a former BOWMAN employee, who was not in any hurry to part with these 8 plates. Stay tuned for the rest of this story. It has a happy ending.

Plus, there is a 3rd experience which I will post so you can see where I'm coming from regarding my theory.

Meanwhile, you guys who are fortunate to own (or have owned) the T206 Wagner card please share with us your inputs on this subject.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 04-25-2020 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.