View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 04:31 PM

This Cal pennant sure looks to me to be a Trench-made pennant. It's hard to put in words, but if you look at enough of their stadium pennants, they start to look the same.

One sign, for instance, is the way the artist writes the name of the stadium beside the drawing. In the 1950s, he/she used a combination of upper and lower case letters. Also, they were hand written, which means if you look at enough of these, you start to recognize the handwriting.

Below you'll see a side-by-side comparison of what I'm talking about. Note that the word "Stadium" sure looks similar, but for the "S". That difference notwithstanding, I still think the same artist drew these two renderings, and Trench made both pennants.

Which is consistent with our previous beliefs, namely that Rob's '62 photo pennant and '62 batter on baseball near bridge pennants--both of which bore this "WC" mark--were made by Trench.

It's noteworthy that the University California is located in Berkeley, just across the bay from San Francisco. This fact, and the observation that only some of these pennants bore the "WC" mark while others didn't, suggests that "WC" signifies either the name of the concessionaire that ran both Candlestick and Memorial Stadium, or else a bay area retailer that did a lot of business with Trench, like a novelty or sporting goods store that would sell both Giants and Bears pennants.

I think we may be close to solving this mystery....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WCmark as Trench pennant.jpg (68.6 KB, 423 views)