View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 12:53 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
Some of them were general ephemera dealers, or maybe booksellers who also sold ephemera. Walter Corson did that for a while in the late 40s (see my profile of him, link in the index). Some of them might have been card collectors with day jobs who also did some buying and selling on the side, though I don’t know if that would have been true yet in 1937. Even when there were full time dealers starting in the 1950s, like Sam Rosen and Gordon Taylor (see my post on “Card dealers of the 1950s”), they weren’t just baseball card dealers; they dealt in all types of collectible cards, though baseball cards were the most popular types.
As you know Wagner and Burdick were advertising back in the Hobbies Magazine, starting in 1935. I would guess, even for the best dealers of the day, they had to have day jobs to pay their bills. It's not a lot different than many of the major league players from the 1800s to early 1900s. Most had jobs in the off season. If I recall even Matty pumped gas at one time.