View Single Post
Old 05-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Default Ken Burn's Baseball documentary

Posted By: Cy

There are definitely good moments in the 10 DVD series. But I have to agree with Adam. It was slow throughout the entire session. And when you consider that there wasn't any film in the 1900-1910 segment, only still pictures in front of the narration, I prefer listening to Larry Ritter's actual interviews in the Glory of Their Times CD set than to watch the Burns DVDs.

I don't think anything in the 1900-1910 segment was as thrilling as actually listening to Smokey Joe Wood, Sam Crawford, Davey Jones, Chief Meyers and my absolute favorite of the four discs, Jimmy Austin (plus others) These interviews are exciting as you get to listen to the actual men tell their stories.

If I had a choice to keep the Burns 10 DVDs with a big screen TV or the Glory of Their Times with a Walkman and I had to throw away the other, it wouldn't be a choice. I'd keep Larry Ritter's real interviews any day.

Plus, I was greatly disappointed that Burns gave no time to the 1960 Pirates. That was a thrilling World Series for everyone except Yankees fans. That is why it is rarely shown. And that is a shame.

Cy