View Single Post
Old 02-03-2024, 05:49 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Steve Hill (Hammer Sports Relics) is your guy. He replaces these bladders at a very reasonable price. Often, he can indeed save the original laces, but he cannot guarantee that. They tend to snap from getting brittle after all those years, and he can't predict the outcome until he actually performs the "surgery".

I have had Steve replace about 5 - 6 bladders for me, and he's been able to rescue the original laces each time. Very fortunate. If he cannot save the laces, he will replace them with something very similar. I think he stocks vintage leather lacing that he can match up pretty well.

But if the replacement lacing does look newer than the rest of the football, I would just get my fingers dirty... rub the laces for a few minutes, massage in the grime, and then wipe off the loose dirt. Some residue will adhere to the laces, so they should not stand out nearly as much. Perhaps there's a better solution, but I am not aware of one.

As for the autos... Steve is able to condition the leather without harming the ink. Whether or not this will make the autos clearer/stand out better, only he can address with you. Feel free to send me a PM if you want Steve's email address. I haven't used his services for a couple years, but assume he's still in business.

Hope this is helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos