View Single Post
Old 09-09-2023, 01:48 AM
Ciaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kecleveland View Post
I find European and South American soccer card prices are all over the place for the same card. English cigarette cards are way cheap and there’s tons on them, same for boxing. Italy and Spanish soccer is more expensive but can be had for sometimes less than half the asking price. I do also find American sellers like COMC sell European cards for much less.
The English soccer cigarette cards that are cheap are those from between the two World Wars. Those pre WWI have risen dramatically in price over recent years, esp for iconic players of the era such as Billy Meredith and Steve Bloomer.

Italian cards are generally priced higher and more collectible than Spanish equivalents. For example, cards of Giuseppe Meazza (Italian soccer legend of the late 1920s through to early 1940s) have sold for high 5 figure sums in recent years. Similarly, other Italian soccer legends such as Piola and Valentino Mazzola can command high prices. Comparatively, the equivalent Spanish stars such as a Samitier, Alacantara and Zamora sell much smaller sums.

I am a season ticket holder of Internazionale of Milano and travel to Milan regularly (next trip is forthcoming Friday). There are many markets but the items for sale there are generally over-priced and, irrespective of price, not particularly alluring. I find that’s the same with all mainstream markets across Europe, including UK. My better purchases in Italy have come from building up relationships over time with other collectors - building and maintaining a network really does help.