View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 04:29 AM
And*y Quig!ey

I agree with this comment. Last year I collected the HOFers from this set and I didn't concern myself with the year of issue and, as you suggest, I didn't notice real price differences based on year.
I ended up with four 1934s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
When I was working on the 1-96 'complete' set around 20 years ago I did so without consideration of the backs. Which by the way is what almost everyone did, and I imagine the majority of current collectors as well. They were almost universally sold without any indication of what 'year' back it had (sometimes blue or green back was mentioned). Because it is not nearly as popular a set as the 1933 or 1934 Goudeys, I believe the pricing of the year variations has never been too much of a factor.

So the fact that in my basic Diamond Stars collection I only have 3 1934 versions of the 24 cards issued in 1934 (#'s 1 through 24) is a fun bit of information. Perhaps an indication that they are tougher to come by, but also that not much attention or premium has historically been placed on these cards, and that this situation persists to this day. I know I didn't care back then, but as the hobby matures I imagine interest in this scarcity will slowly increase.

Brian
Definitely agree. Great set. I like cards that reflect their period ... great art deco design on the DS and the 1955 Bowmans on - WOW - "Color TV." Two of my favorite sets and more affordable than most. My next project will likely be completing the Bowman HOFers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keating3620 View Post
Since the set does not have Ruth or Gehrig it does not have the same popularity as Goudey but I still think it is a great set with the art deco design and high % of HOF's.

Last edited by ajquigs; 04-28-2017 at 06:57 PM.