View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 02:59 PM
Rick Clemens

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
And what's the deal with the Green Cobbs? I thought I might spring for one since there are a few nice lower grade examples. On the third day a few already have 30-35 bids and are deep into four figures, and these are a 2 and a 2.5. Is this market real, or is someone manipulating it? I mean folks, this just isn't a rare card. What are there, like two or three thousand of them out there? I call foul.
To Barry's point here. The Green Cobb and Bat On have nearly the same population on the PSA pop report. Two factors here . One is the popularity of the Green Cobb. Just a typical supply and demand curve. While no more rare than Bat On the popularity (demand) has increased the value. Second and more to Barry's point is several people are buying the Green Cobb's paying what they have to and then holding/hording or reselling at a substantial profit . There were dealers at the 2017 National with as many as 20 Green Cobb's who admit to buying all the Green Cobb's they can find. All Cobb T206's are up big though. I purchased a Red Portrait in a 2.5 with a PB back 2 years ago for 800.00. Now a PSA 2.5 goes for 2k or more