View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 08:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I'd like to know why it's referred to still as the color barrier when there were clearly players of color in the majors, many with African blood from Cuba. It was an African-American barrier they broke, but players of color were in the majors for years before Robinson came along. I think those players get lost in the history of the sport when you talk about paving the way.

I also agree on Doby and any other players right after Robinson, because if those players did something "wrong" while fighting back the racism they endured, then who knows how things would have went from there.

A pet peeve of mine is lazy history, such as crediting one person for an event. A great example would be the midnight run of Paul Revere. When you learn the real history of that event, then it looks ridiculous to celebrate just Revere. Major League Baseball takes the lazy route with celebrating the breaking of the color barrier by putting everything on one player when so many other players deserve credit too.
Lazy history is easier to digest. For example, if you really study Germany in the 1930s, the rise of the Nazi party is a heck of a lot more complicated than just one tyrant.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.