View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 12:39 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles70 View Post
I started collecting T227 in 1985 and have never seen one in person or seen one for sale even in an auction in 32 years...After writing an article for the old VCBC magazine many years ago I was contacted by a collector looking for CP Rodgers to finish his T227 set and I was looking for the Brown card to finish my set but neither of us had a duplicate to trade...so we made actual size color copies and emailed each other...I printed out the Brown, cut it out and pasted the copy front and back onto stiffer backing and put it with the other 23 cards in the T227 set and that is my copy...that was the first time I ever saw what the card looked like and that was about 15 years after I started collecting the set!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thank you so much for the information. I guess I can forget about ever acquiring that card. Racing has always been my first passion, so I did kind of know about what a great rarity the Brown card is in the T227 set, but it is kind of weird because the Holy Grail of auto racing cards is almost always considered to be the Fred Lorenzen with car card from the 1972 STP set. Maybe that is because T227 features athletes from a variety of sports and the 1972 STP set is exclusively an auto racing set.

Here is a thread discussing the 1972 STP set, and the great rarity that is the Lorenzen with car card.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/this...for-t8938.html

Longtime racing card collector Jon Hardgrove has written in the past that he had only seen one Lorenzen with car card in 26 years of collecting racing cards. An older lady in Connecticut that I bought some STP cards from a few years ago said that it took her 20 years to finally locate a Lorenzen with car card; the card had a pinhole from being tacked on someone's wall, but she was just glad to get any example of the card.

Here is a link to my gallery of 1972 STP cards so you can look at the card I am referring to, if you are interested.

Thanks again for the information on the Brown card.

https://imageevent.com/eddiesmithcards/1972stpcards

Last edited by Bored5000; 11-29-2018 at 12:40 AM.