View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 12:01 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo32 View Post
Baseball snapshots are the bastards in the baseball hobby.They seem to forgotten and alone in their own category. If you see a photo, and it doesn't have the seal of approval of a Underwood, Conlon, or Bain...people think it's not that valuable.

I'm a huge advocate of snapshots, but in the hobby world they're flawed. Why? It's Achilles heel, it's almost too unique. They're 1/1 and taken by an amateur photographer. Nothing to compare it. So people in the hobby don't know if they are getting a steal or getting ripped off. However, on the plus side...you can command you're own price ( within reason) since there's nothing of exactly the same.

When I see a Conlon photo, I don't get the same goosebumps because, it's professional photo taken by professional photographer. Seeing a candid amateur snapshot is special, it's a glimpse of a craze fan trying to meet their baseball hero.

It's great that snapshots are finally getting attention since they are such a unique piece of history. Fans make the game.

"Baseball snapshots are the bastards in the baseball hobby.They seem to forgotten and alone in their own category."

I wonder if the same was said about baseball postcards before they became the valuable collectibles they are today. Maybe it's good to get in on the "ground floor" of an area in collecting that hasn't had much attention paid to it?

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!

Last edited by jb217676; 12-24-2017 at 12:01 PM.