View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 05:26 PM
Joseph Mie.lke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrys View Post
In the mid-1880s W. Duke Sons & Co. initiated a drive to increase the sale of the emerging cigarette industry by inserting an advertising picture card as a premium in their brands of cigarettes. The overwhelming positive response by the public to these cards induced most of the rest of companies in the tobacco industry to imitate that success. There are surviving empty packs from those tobacco companies. It is a wonder that 130 year old empty packs were saved in the first place but it is a benefit as it answers a research question.

The dated overprint tax stamp on these early cigarette packs is the only way to prove which packs carried the insert cards. This was my expressed need for only pre-ATC packs, anything else blurs the case. This was to be a survey to find the number of collectors with this particular interest. It appears the number is quite small - actually very close to zero!

BTW The tax stamp overprint is almost impossible to read - a readable text copy of the tax stamp information would be helpful.

For a complete understanding and definitions of this branch of the hobby that connects of tobacco products and baseball cards please visit: http://www.baseballandtobacco.com/index.htm THE SOURCE.
Your link is why I love this site. Learn something new every day.

Now I'll shut up and learn more.