View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Hello Jerry,

Hope all is well. You are correct in that our numbers are relatively small (pack collectors). Most pack collectors are found outside of the baseball card hobby. Some of them have more of a non-sport focus and more still don't focus on cards at all other than perhaps an occasional type card to go with their packs.

The website you linked to, from Jon Canfield, is a good source as is your own. We do have more information and corrections that could be added but still great places to start.

My favorite entry in this thread is your Creole pack with a legible cancel date. I have four Creole packs and have studied a couple others that I'm aware of (they are rare packs) and none of them have a legible cancel date. Can you share a high resolution scan of that overprint? The date aligns with my expectations for this 3rd style of Creole pack. Also, is that your N333 Newsboy card?, great card! Some manufacturers such as Goodwin & Ginter typically have easy to read overprints while others are typically impossible or very tough (Kimball, SF Hess, etc.).

I've posted many of my packs in the past but will add to this thread with some Dogs Head packs. Dogs Head cigarettes debuted in late June of 1889, each pack containing an N172 Old Judge baseball card and an N163 Dogs of the World card (together with a coupon and an N173 redemption checklist as shown below).

Cancel dates of SEP 1 1889, Oct 1 1889, and MAR 1 1890. The first two packs would have held 1889 Old Judge cards (Fc) while the March of 1890 pack may have very well held a rare NL/PL 1890 card. I am not aware of any Dogs Head packs post ATC merger.

- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers