View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 10:24 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default Something a Little Different

First, a slightly long story about how I got these...

Richard Gilbert Potter was a salesman and sometime photographer who collected Louisville local history photographs from the period 1880 to 1930 and took his own photos through the 1960s. Potter then copied and peddled the images for use as decoration in many Louisville businesses, hotels, and restaurants. The photographs document Louisville street scenes, historic buildings, Louisville mayors, the Potter family, celebrities, sporting events, including horse racing at Churchill Downs, and local professional and amateur baseball.

Several of his photos were sent by Potter personally to John Weyhing, nephew of the Old Judge Weyhings, John and Gus, who were from Louisville. John was a priest and well-known around town since he was a chaplain for several local organizations as well as Churchill Downs. Potter would have known that John was Gus' nephew.The first photo is a picture of Gus Weyhing with Honus and the second, as you can see, is Honus with Dick Potter. Upon his passing, John's brother, Ed took possession of the photos. Ed died three years ago. Ed was my friend. His wife Mary recently came across the photos and knew that I would enjoy having them both because of the link to baseball and because it would be a link for me to Ed. In addition to the photos of Honus I've included one of the latter-day Weyhing boys...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honus Wagner Photo 1.jpg (70.8 KB, 765 views)
File Type: jpg Honus Wagner Photo 2.jpg (73.4 KB, 768 views)
File Type: jpg Honus Wagner Photo 3.jpg (67.6 KB, 785 views)
File Type: jpg John and Ed Weyhing.JPG (33.1 KB, 754 views)

Last edited by kkkkandp; 05-05-2019 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Correct typos.