Thread: Hal Newhouser
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 06:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
Considering that his peak came during years when there were few or no nationally distributed baseball card sets, the number of contemporary cards of Newhouser is about what you would expect (1949 Leaf, 1953 Topps, 1955 Topps, plus the 1947 Sports Exchange photo that Mike Garcia posted, the tiny little 1950 R423, and some Exhibits). The lack of Bowmans is presumably because they didn't have the rights, as Ted Z. said.

Newhouser actually pitched pretty well in 1942 and 1943, making the All-Star game both years, but the Tigers gave him very little run support, so his W-L record suffered. And this has nothing to do with his cards, but Newhouser was one of the meanest, most disliked players in baseball during his career, with a legendary temper.
Kind of begs the question why Bowman didn't have the rights. Look at all the players who were in most or many of the early Bowman issues, not all of whom by any means were stars at their peak. Look at all the sets he wasn't in: 48-55 Bowman (8) and 52 and 54 Topps. So he was in 3 sets, and not in 10. Not to mention none of the 54 regionals. To me, anyhow, that doesn't sound like about what one would expect for a HOFer.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-13-2018 at 06:44 PM.