View Single Post
Old 01-14-2017, 05:48 PM

Default Some players can only be found this way

There are many obsure players that don't have a contemporary card but may have appeared in a guide / magazine / newspaper. I too don't like destroying items but I will collect cutouts under the following personal conditions:

1. An item that was meant to be cutout. There are numerous items that were meant to be clipped and saved for scrapbooks. Many of them say so in the margins. I have no issue collecting those

2. No contemporary card (that I'm aware of) . As a team collector I search high and low for some players for years. If I haven't found a card after a certain period of time I will purchase a clipping of that player to fill the void

3. Damaged goods. I have purchased books / magazines / newspapers that are damaged and literally falling apart but have an image I want or need that is in good shape. In those cases I will clip the pic and not think twice about it.

I have no illusions that these items will have much resale value, but I also believe that there are others who feel as I do and will generally pay what I paid for an item when I am ready to sell.

I also belong to the collect-what-you-like school so I am A-OK collecting items in this way.

Last edited by JLange; 01-15-2017 at 04:59 AM.