View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 10:24 AM
Al Jurgela

Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I recently "won" (i.e., paid a fortune for) in REA, the 1916 Zeenut Jimmy Claxton pictured below. Over the past few weeks I have shown it to people -- collectors and non-collectors alike -- and very few people knew what it is and/or who Jimmy Claxton was. I must admit, until about 2 months ago I too had no idea who Jimmy Claxton was or why the card is so special. However, after being tipped-off to the card in September, I did some research and was totally blown away by the importance of, and the story behind, this card; not to mention its rarity (SGC shows 6 graded and PSA shows 1 graded). It really is incredible -- the coincidences and events that had to converge to make the 1916 Zeenut Jimmy Claxton the first African American on a pro baseball card.

Here is a link to a great article that tells the story. I think it is a story that board members would appreciate and enjoy.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/claxt...gacy/c-8100362
That went for a big number! Congrats... super underappreciated card. When one went for $5k a few years ago at Hake's I was shocked, but I am glad to see the market appreciating the story and importance (of player and card).

Here are a few of the other Pete Hill cards mentioned (that predate the Claxton - but are issued overseas in Cuba)... but there are other (Lloyd, Petway, etc.).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hill Cabanas close up.jpg (78.8 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg Pete Hill Punch Close up.jpg (71.1 KB, 292 views)
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards