View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Steve

Default Say it aint so, Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
My take is that the financial issues with the set were helped along by Joe Dimaggio, their spokesman for the set (he is on the 53 color wrapper and box). I have a theory that Joe D. was getting a cut of sales above a certain point, which was also a contributing factor as to why they went to the B&W cards. Joe's deal probably stated he got a cut of the color cards only-why would you not use him to sell the B&W cards too?
Dave, thanks for the input. I have also read the speculation about DiMaggio's deal with Bowman. So you suppose that his contract specifically stated "color cards," allowing Bowman to veer off into the B&W with no legal repurcussions? Man, I seriously doubt any kids in 1953 were even aware that his image was on the wrapper, much less purchased the cards because of it. It must have been directed entirely at the wholesale and retail marketers, who were more likely to be impressed by the endorsement of the Yankee great. Which seems kind of silly, right? Why squander hundreds of thousands on Joe's endorsement just to move product to the vendors? I don't know what kind of hit Bowman had to take on unsold product returned from vendors, but the cards were such a hit with kids, it's hard to believe there was much left unsold. The sheer size of DiMag's contract may have dictated an outlandish sales projection just to return a normal profit for Bowman.