View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 03:30 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
What you might run up against is that most grading companies do a bit of their own design. Usually when you have parts injection molded you pay for the mold, and the molding company stores it as part of the deal. That's if you're making a lot of parts. If you're doing a smallish run, you get to store the mold, which will often only work on one sort of machine.

So while the manufacturer of the slab probably has the mold, they'd need permission from the mold owner to run any parts from it. And a short run will be pretty expensive.
Even once you find someone making a generic slab sort of holder - and I think I recall seeing some somewhere but can't find them- you'd still have to go through them.

What plastic are you thinking of? It might be possible to do it on a 3-D printer. Results vary depending on the printer and the sort of plastic, but it might be doable.
The end result is to be able to run a large production number but as of now I just need about 20 shells made. The plastic is a type of lexan material use in the food industry. It is just now becoming available in film thicknesses and clear color. The plastics is virtually free of everything and is UV resistant also. There are some other neat benefits also. The mold I guess I can have it made here at my work if I need to. We do a lot of vacuum seal molding and other stuff like that for the food industry. I guess I just wanted to see what all I needed to do to have some made but it sounds like I might have to do it on my own.

Member since 2009