View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 12:55 PM
Chris

The thing I don't get about brick and mortar stores is the owners with nasty attitudes. I remember being eight and spotting what I thought was a Nolan Ryan rookie. I approached the dealer about it and learned that it was actually one of those porcelian reprints. When I thanked him and walked away I remember him calling me cheap because I didn't want to spend 30 dollars on a reprint. It left me with such a negative taste in my mouth.

Twenty years later, I relocate to a new city and am so excited that I have a card shop two blocks from my house. The guy has a decent vintage selection. Many commons and a handful of stars. Nothing I need for my collection so nothing I'd buy. I end up shopping there maybe ten to twenty times for top loaders for my cards anyway. I finally meet the owner on one of my visits, and the guy makes a nasty comment to me in the thirty seconds we spoke. I just don't get it. It's not like people are lining up to purchase stuff at his place. I think there has maybe been one or two customers there each time I visited. You'd think he'd be a little nicer.