View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Default Auto'd T206 -- Heinie Smith vs. Elmer Smith

Posted By: davidcycleback

Assuming the signature is authentic (and I'm not suggesting it's not), it could have been a through
the mail signing where the kid sent that card. The player signed the card sent and returned it. It was
common practice in the old days to send baseball cards to be signed. As an autograph collector, I can comment
that a different player than pictured signature is rare-- exceptions including when is significant connection
between the players, like Pete Rose signing a Ty Cobb postcard or Rickey Henderson signing a Lou Brock card.

There was a recent common NFL player who shared a close name with another common NFL player. He said that at
practices and such, collectors would often hand him a photo of the other player to sign. He'd often say
to the autograph seeker, "Look at the photo. It doesn't even look like me." He wouldn't sign the other guy
photos, but it shows that, while rare, an innocent mixup is possible-- in particular when the player isn't a
Peyton Manning or Sandy Koufax.

I remember the marginal 1980s starting pitcher Curt Young was regularly listed in the box scores as
"C. Young, p," just like Cy Young. You'd have to ask him if he was ever mailed a Cy Young card to
sign.

Then there was the pour soul who asked boxer Mike Tyson in person to sign his Topps baseball card.