Thread: Vintage Racing?
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I have been at nine of 11 cards for the 1972 STP for a while now. I was pumped to see a lot of nine different drivers (10 cards total) show up on eBay a couple days ago. I still need Bobby Allison and Charlie Glotzbach to complete the set, both of which were contained in the lot. Allison is especially tough to find.

The lot started as an auction with a $250 minimum bid, and I saw that several people were asking the seller to end the auction and make it a BIN. The seller initially declined to do so, but I now see that the lot sold as a BIN for $450.

I am disappointed by that, and the seller definitely left money on the table with the BIN. The Allison card alone is a $300-500 card, and several of the other cards are $60-100 cards. I know when I bought my two Lorenzen cards from the set, that seller told me that people were messaging him offering him anywhere from $300 to $750 for cards that ultimately sold for $1,500 total at auction.

Somebody got themselves a great deal by convincing the seller to take $450 for the lot. The seller of this lot didn't really seem to know very much about the set. He did not know the set actually contains two Fred Lorenzen cards and is an 11-card set. I would have put in a snipe for a couple hundred more than the lot sold for if the seller had let the auction play out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-The-STP...vip=true&rt=nc
That is really irritating, Eddie. I am so sorry for you, as you make it plain to us that these cards do not show up that often. The dealer did not know what he had, and the money the character waved was probably a lot more than he thought he'd get for them. Now, he's out a couple hundred bucks and his eBay integrity is very harmed. Your story underscores how desirable the STP cards are to the right people. Again, I'm sorry, bro; the auction should not have gone down the way it did.

Out of curiosity, how could you have known "that several people were asking the seller to end the auction and make it a BIN"?

Hang in there, friend. Maybe the sale will flush out some fresh STP cards. Keep close watch; then, you'll have a collector's edge!

---Brian Powell