View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 02:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hi Rob

It's been approx. a dozen years since these re-fronted T206's surfaced into circulation.....so, many have forgotten about them. One of the
most memorable fakes was the T206 Matty (portrait) with a Red HINDU back. It was a "beauty" and it was graded by SGC.

Here's another re-fronted "beauty"....the Green Cobb with an impossible CYCLE 350 back. This fake was sold in Auction for $3000.

I could go on (and on) with a number of these fakes....but, I will leave you with how this RE-FRONTING process is usually done......

A friend of mine, who is a professional paper restorer, described to me the process of creating such "fakes" that are virtually undetectable
strictly from their physical appearance. Simply, the front of the card is very carefully removed from its back. And, the desired front image
from another card is appliqued onto that blank front of that card. Then basic paper restoring measures are used to restore the edges.

TED Z
It seems that in this hobby, anyplace there is demand, there is a card doctor (or purveyor of fake autographs/memorabilia) to fill it. Sad.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-21-2016 at 02:29 PM.