View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 10:03 AM
Paul S

From what I understand (and you should know that I may well be the least knowledgeable person on this board) there are tons of things that go into the value of a signed ball. I have a ball kind of like the one you have, with about 15 Detroit Tigers' signatures on it, including Greenberg, Newhouser, Gehringer, Birdie Tibbetts, Dutch Meyer, and a few others. I took it to a dealer once who told me that it would actually be worth more if it only had Hank on it. That having other signatures, even of guys like Gehringer, actually decreased the value over a solosigned ball. Seemed odd to me, but that's what I was told. On the other hand, he said that since Hank had signed right under the label, that made it more valuable than if he had signed on the side. But the fact that they had all signed the ball at a reunion event, well after their playing careers were over, made it worth less. Never ended up selling it, but he said it was probably worth three or four hundred. Not even enough to buy textbooks.

Last edited by pbspelly; 03-10-2014 at 10:06 AM.