View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 09:45 AM

Default Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
I traded a 1992 Topps set with a Brien Taylor autograph in it for a bunch of nice looking '75 mini's. At the time the $$ were about even as Taylor was anticipated to be the next Doc Gooden and they "encapsulated" a limited number of autographed cards in the base set. Something like 12,000 auto's. In 1993 Taylor declined to play Winter ball and tore his labrum throwing a haymaker as he defended his brother in a brawl. He was never the same. Brien Taylor became the 2nd player that was the 1st overall pick never to reach the majors, behind Steve Chilcott in 1966.

Z Wheat
Being a big Yanks fan I had a 1992 Topps Gold Brien Taylor and held onto that thing like it was the cornerstone of my collection. I think I still have it stowed away somewhere. I have a bad feeling that Pineda is going to be the next Taylor when it comes to young pitchers. But maybe that's just me being a pessimistic Yankees fan and preparing for the sucky years ahead.